DECATUR On Oct. 7, 1869, thirteen members of the United Church of Corner Springs formed the Corner Springs Baptist Church.
Those members were J.D. Buckner, William Buckner, J.M. Abercrombie, R.D. Londagin, Letsey Smith, Jane Londagin,Elizabeth Londagin, Isabel Buckner and Susan Hutton.
Some descendants of those original members still live in the area. The Corner Springs Baptist Church was eventually renamed the First Baptist Church of Decatur.
The First Baptist Church will celebrate its 140th anniversary with a specialprogram at 2 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 25. Several former pastors will attend.
Other local churches have been invited to participate in the program.
All former members are encouraged to attend.
Everyone is invited to help the community celebrate this occasion. Refreshments will follow this special service.
News, Pages 2 on 10/21/2009
Print Headline: First Baptist Church to celebrate 140th