News Obituaries Community School/Sports Opinion Religion Special Sections Photos
story.lead_photo.caption Eulas Hughes

BENTONVILLE -- A Gravette man shot by police over the weekend was being held Monday in the Benton County Jail on $150,000 bond.

Eulas Linwood Hughes was arrested in connection with seven counts of aggravated assault, four counts of terroristic threatening, two counts of carrying a weapon, disorderly conduct and public intoxication.

He was booked into the jail at 6:59 p.m. Jan. 22.

Arkansas State Police is investigating the officer-involved shooting after Hughes was wounded Saturday in Gravette.

Gravette police officers were dispatched to a suicidal subject call in the area of 405 Second Ave. S.E., according to a probable cause affidavit. The officers did not see anyone and decided to check at Hughes' residence at 407 Second Ave. S.E. because of similar calls in the past, according to court documents.

Officer Chance Fink said he rounded a privacy fence and saw Hughes pointing a rifle at him, according to the affidavit. Fink took cover and told Hughes to put his weapon down, according to the affidavit.

Hughes refused and at least four times said he would shoot police if they came any closer, according to the affidavit.

The other officer, Cpl. Scott Gillming, reported Hughes also pointed the gun at him, according to the affidavit.

Gravette Police Chief Chuck Skaggs arrived and was parking his vehicle by the driveway when Hughes pointed the gun at him, according to the affidavit.

Sulphur Springs police officers and Benton County sheriff's deputies also responded to the scene.

Fink heard thuds and was advised that Hughes was trying to get into his house, according to the affidavit. Hughes' wife and two children were in the residence and had not complied with orders to evacuate, according to the affidavit.

Fink tried to get closer. Hughes pointed the gun at him, and Fink got back behind the fence, according to the affidavit. Hughes tried again to get in the house, and Fink heard four shots, according to the affidavit.

The law enforcement officers found Hughes on the ground and handcuffed him and began to check on his injuries before EMTs on the scene took over Hughes' care.

The affidavit did not detail Hughes' injuries or who shot Hughes.

Three law enforcement officers were placed on administrative leave, but their names have not been released.

Hughes' arraignment is scheduled for Feb. 26 in Circuit Judge Brad Karren's courtroom.

General News on 01/31/2018

Print Headline: Bond set at $150,000 for Gravette suspect

Sponsor Content