DECATUR -- What do golf and a Decatur police officer have in common? The 2019 Decatur Police Department golf fundraiser tournament, played for the first time at The Creeks Golf Course in Cave Springs June 8.
The event was organized by Decatur Officer Steve Grizzle, an avid golfer, who looked for ways to raise money to help his department purchase much-needed communications equipment and other equipment needed to keep the citizens of this community of 1,700 safe and secure.
Nine teams consisting of three players each competed for a cash prize of $300. This year's winner by a card off was the team from Muldrow, Okla., consisting of Trey Rogers, Jim Rogers and Grizzle (from Decatur) with a score of 55.
Brad Elam from Simmons in Decatur placed the winning bid on an autographed Jack Nicklaus scorecard.
Steve Grizzle faced many challenges putting together the Decatur Police Department fundraiser golf tournament in such a short time. His hard work paid off as great sponsors and a host of talented golfers came together to help a small police force raise enough funds to get equipment needed for its war on crime.
"This was our first year to do this tournament, and we had lots of fun, and good people that attended," Grizzle said. "We had plenty of room for lots more golfers, but the golfers that were there had a great time with $1,200 in prize money going out to the winners. We would not have been successful without our sponsors and cannot thank them enough. We will be hosting another tournament in the future and hope word will spread so we can have a full event."
The teams and their scores included:
Big PaPa/Janas/Bersi 60
Elam team/ Simmons 64
The tournament featured a closest to the hole contest. The golfer that landed closest to the hole after driving from the green wins a cash prize of $50. The winners by hole included:
1. Eric Mrdja 2nd shot 9'1" Par 4
2. Ken Biggs 1st shot 2'5" Par 3
3. E. Whitney 2nd shot 4" Par 5
4. Trey Rogers 2nd shot 12'2" Par 4
5. Patrick S. 2nd shot 1'5" Par 4
6. Bill Marr 1st shot 5'2" Par 3
7. G2 2nd shot 4'10.5" Par 4
8. MFJ 1st shot 11'4.5" Par 4
9. Nicco 2nd shot 4'5" Par 5
10. Lee Ann 1st shot 15'8" Par 3
11. C. Valentine 2nd shot 30' Par 5
12. Patrick S. 1st shot 3'9" Par 3
13. Steve Grizzle 1st shot 16'8" Par 4
14. Steve Grizzle 2nd shot 8'2" Par 4
15. L. Manes 2nd shot 2' Par 4
16. Mark Fairbanks 2nd shot 4' Par 4
17. Zack Marsh 1st shot 8'3" Par 3
18. Zack Marsh 3rd shot 23" Par 5Sports on 07/03/2019
Print Headline: First Decatur Police golf tournament ends with great success