News Obituaries Community Sports Opinion Religion Special Sections Photos Contact us Customer Service Email Updates
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
story.lead_photo.caption Westside Eagle Observer/MIKE ECKELS First Baptist Church of Decatur gets ready to celebrates its 150th anniversary on Oct. 12, from 12 to 2 p.m., in the church's sanctuary.

DECATUR -- First Baptist Church of Decatur will hold its 150th-anniversary celebration on Saturday, Oct. 12, from noon to 2 p.m. The church will provide lunch, present pictures of the church's history, host a worship band and a few guest speakers to talk about the history and personal testimony of their times at First Baptist Church in Decatur.

The church was founded on Oct. 7, 1869, as Corner Springs Baptist Church by six people, J.D. Buckner, Letsey Smith, Jane Londagin, Elizabeth Londagin, Isabel Buckner and Susan Hutton. John Givens served as the church's first pastor. It built its first sanctuary, located on the east side of Day Street where the current parking lot is located. It became First Baptist Church in 1920.

The current sanctuary was built in 1981, being attached to what was called the educational building located on the west side of Day Street. The church has sustained regular worship services and ministries for the last 150 years by the grace of God and continues today. We're not celebrating man's fruitfulness, we're celebrating God's faithfulness.

Justin White, the current pastor, gives most of the credit for the church's longevity to God and His Son Jesus Christ.

"There is no one person that can take credit for the last 150 years of worship for which this church has gathered," White said. "But for the faithfulness of God and his unchanging word."

General News on 10/09/2019

Print Headline: Decatur church to celebrate 150th anniversary

Sponsor Content

Comments

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT