Lee Cemetery History
The Lee Cemetery, located northwest of Gravette on Beaty Road, is believed to be named after John Thomas and Amanda Munered Lee, who moved to the area in 1872 and bought property which included the piece that is today the cemetery. During their seven-year stay in the area, the Lees sold their land to Hugh Tinnin, with the exception of one acre in the northeast corner of the plot, Section 19, granted for what would become known as Lee School in 1884.
In 1880, Hugh Tinnin sold part of the Lee section to Isaac and M.E. Zehner, who died in 1887. M.E. was buried in the Zehner Cemetery. Over the years, the Zehner Cemetery gradually became known as the Lee Cemetery after Lee School (District 8). The new school, rebuilt after it burned in 1886, was north of the Lee Cemetery on the east side of the road.