The Georgia Flat Cemetery Association will be dedicating a historical marker at 1 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 7, at the Georgia Flat Cemetery, located 4 ½ miles southwest of Gravette, at the intersection of Georgia Flat and Kane Roads, to recognize and honor 27 Confederate soldiers who died during the months of September and October of 1861 while in training at Camp Jackson, Arkansas. Camp Jackson, located in western Benton County, was established Sept. 5, 1861, by Brigadier General Benjamin McCulloch, who named the camp for Governor Claiborne Jackson, of Missouri.
This story is only available from the Westside Eagle Observer archives. Stories can be purchased individually for $2.95. Click here to search for this story in the archives.
Community News, Pages 8 on 09/04/2013
Print Headline: Marker to be dedicated in honor of fallen Confederate soldiers