Sports memorabilia display opens at Decatur City Hall

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Print item

Zoom
Westside Eagle Observer/MIKE ECKELS The new display case at Decatur City Hall contains trophies, plaques, a cheerleader's outfit, and other sports memorabilia from the 1939-1999 Decatur High School basketball, football and cheerleading programs.

Westside Eagle Observer/MIKE ECKELS The new display case at Decatur City Hall contains trophies, plaques, a cheerleader's outfit, and other sports memorabilia from the 1939-1999 Decatur High School basketball, football and cheerleading programs.

DECATUR -- From 1939 to 1970, high school students from grades nine through 12 once graced the halls in what is now Decatur City Hall. On the back side of the building was the gym where the basketball Bulldogs and Lady Bulldogs gathered for practices and games for 31 seasons. A new display celebrating the rich Decatur sports heritage was opened on the first floor near the city office June 15. In 1970, the high school moved to its present location on Stadium Drive in eastern Decatur. Soon afterward, the Bulldog sports program moved into its new home at Peterson Gym where the tradition of great sports continues today. Part of the move involved transferring all trophies and plaques housed in a display case on the second floor of the old high school to a set of new cases at Peterson gym....


Subscribers must LOG-IN to read this full story.
Monthly and yearly online subscriptions are available starting at only $2.99. Access is free for print subscribers. Click here to see rates and register.

Comments

To report abuse or misuse of this area please hit the "Suggest Removal" link in the comment to alert our online managers.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Registration is required to make comments. Click here to LOGIN.
You can register for FREE to post comments and receive alerts.